Self-Assessment Essay

Writing for The Science 21003 allowed me to further expand my writing skills pertaining to the sciences.  While this type of writing was not drastically different from what was taught in prior years throughout high school, the format as well as the necessary language to properly convey the intended message was an adjustment.

Starting with the first assignment, the Abstract Paper, I quickly became aware of the difficult language present in almost all scientific literature and realized I would have to learn the lingo, so to say.  I feel as though this assignment was a great way to start off the course as it slowly introduced the class to reading and analyzing scientific articles.   It allowed me to take a sophisticated article and turn it into something more understandable for me which then reflected my understanding of the chosen article.

The Position Paper is where I was able to apply what I had learned from completing the abstract.  By learning how to dissect scientific articles, I was able to fulfill one of the Course Learning Outcomes: Compose texts that integrate your stance with appropriate sources using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation.  This assignment also helped me to fulfill another outcome: Develop strategies for reading, drafting, collaborating, revising, and editing.  The differences between my first draft and final draft for the Position Paper have significant changes that helped to improve my writing thus making my intended message much more prominent.

The Final Paper, Science Professional Profile, was the holy grail of all assignments in this class as it required the application of multiple course objects especially engaging in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes.  I personally had never done a formal interview with any type of professional so the experience was much appreciated and needed.  In addition to completing the interview, external sources were required to further expand topics touched upon during the interview and of course, editing was a necessity just like with any other paper.

Overall, this course has given me the knowledge, ability, and skill to further expand my writing in regard to scientific literature as well as my understanding of literature.  The Course Outcomes were continuously implemented with each assignment and allowed for a deeper understanding that is sure to stick with me as I continue to further my career in the sciences.